Expats: European country with ‘most expensive healthcare’ for Britons named – full list | Travel News | Travel

New research from William Russell has revealed the most expensive country to make a medical claim while traveling or living there.

William Russell’s team analyzed health insurance claims data to uncover the costliest countries to get sick or injured without cover for UK expats, and Denmark has the highest average claim value of 5 £569, according to the study.

Therefore, international health insurance is extremely important to protect the health and wallets of British travelers and expats.

Denmark was followed by Taiwan with an average claims value of £2,948 and Qatar with an average medical claims value of £2,204.

Spain came in seventh, with British expats and tourists without international insurance able to spend an average of £1,535 on medical costs.

READ MORE: Passengers must ‘avoid’ certain clothes if they want a free upgrade

The study found that the most expensive overseas claim is medical evacuation, with the average cost standing at £10,237.

Next come pregnancy complications and emergency procedures, with an average medical claim of £8,704.

Claims such as cancer treatment, home nursing costs or palliative care are also among the most expensive claims.

When UK expats move to another country after retirement, they may need to visit the hospital at some point. It is therefore essential to have medical insurance.

READ MORE: Pilot urges elderly passengers to avoid window seats as risk is higher

The government website explained that British expats living in Spain can have free access to healthcare once they are registered.

However, although some basic public services are free, there are some things patients have to pay for, including prescriptions.

British nationals can access the Spanish national healthcare system in one of the following ways:

  • By the right to health care if they are employed or self-employed and contribute to social security in Spain.
  • Registering a UK issued S1 form with the Social Security Office.
  • Through the right to health care as a permanent resident if they have lived in Spain for five years.
  • Contribute directly to the public health insurance scheme (Convenio Especial)
  • using a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) for temporary stays for study purposes or as a posted (posted) worker.